James R. King, C.M.
JAMES R KING, CM
1914 – 1990
Jim’s first assignment in the Priesthood was to St. Joseph’s in Princeton. He served there from 1941 to 1954 when he was reassigned to St. John’s in Brooklyn to teach religion. In 1958 he moved with the Confreres to the new faculty residence in Jamaica and took up the responsibilities of Chairman of the Library Science Department at the university.
In 1959 Jim’s priestly career took a very dramatic turn. He had volunteered years before for missionary work and now was asked by Father Sylvester Taggart to respond to a request from the Superior General for assistance on the mission in Madagascar. Jim had all of the qualifications needed for such an assignment; he spoke fluent French and was experienced in Minor Seminary Education. He eventually became the Director of the Seminary in Farafangana and was quite successful in this mission. In 1970 Jim. was named Superior of Villa St. Vincent de Paul in Tananarive where he remained until 1975.
Returning to the States in 1975, Jim King was named Superior of our Mission House in Springfield, Massachusetts and served two terms in that post. In 1981 he was reassigned to Princeton where he taught Latin up until the time of his death. He loved seminary work and really wanted to die in that setting, hoping that he could work right up to the day of his death.
Jim was an accomplished organist and employed his musical talents generously in choral work both in Princeton and at St. John’s. His proficiency at French was called upon by the Community in asking him to assist in the translation project of the Letters of St. Vincent de Paul. The second volume of that project which was very dear to him will soon be published.
Provincial Newsletter August 1990